Monday, October 4, 2010

Priorities (This Is the End)

‹prev | My Chain | next ???

Effective immediately, I am breaking my chain.

I am incredibly proud of the effort that I have invested in learning over the past year and the year before. This particular chain is 245 days in a row. Every new day is a personal best. Every new day is a personal best that I will likely never surpass.

This chain is very important to me. Very important.

So, by voluntarily breaking it, I am recognizing that my priorities are shifting. For the past two years, my priorities have been:
  1. Family
  2. Day Job
  3. Learning
With the cessation of my chain, I am effectively recognizing that my priorities are now:
  1. Family
  2. Day Job
  3. Cool New Project
Learning obviously, will continue to be very important to me, but, in the Jim Collins tradition:
If you have more than three priorities, then you don't have any
I have an idea. It is a project about which I am passionate.

In short, it is going to be legendary.

Understanding full well the power of public commitment, I furthermore...

Commit to releasing a private beta within two weeks
Monday, October 18

And..

Commit to releasing a public beta within one month
Thursday, November 4

To make that commitment even stronger, I will directly commit to each of the Awesome Coders I Worked With to get this done (sorry in advance for the Twitter spam, guys).

See you on the other side!

4 comments:

  1. How exciting! Please rely on me for assistance, a second opinion, or a home in exile if you have to flee the draft...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Hopefully I won't have to worry about the last one, but I will definitely prevail upon you for the other two. Much thanks, sir!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been hiding in my cave for a few days (refinishing my wood floors) and I find this when I come out to the light of day? But, but, but... I was really looking forward to playing the game. :)

    Kudos, on the introspection. I like the "Three priorities" philosophy. Maybe I'll be able to follow this chain more reliably.

    ReplyDelete